The Green of Spring in Italy

Ah, the rolling hills of Tuscany in Spring – we just can’t get enough of them! There are so many shades of green and gold and yellow in Spring. There are so many wonderful things to see and do in this area. This spot is very close to Pienza, and it’s a favorite location for us in both morning and late afternoon light landscapes, though probably more favorite in the afternoon. The sun skims along the surface of the fields, bringing out their texture, and side lighting defines the cypress trees so nicely. The dirt road is like a ribbon unfolding through the scene. Sometimes we get joggers, or dogs and their owners walking the road, but I loved the quiet of this image. If I retire to Italy, I’m going to buy this house! 🙂

We’re scheduled to go back next year in fact, May 18-28th, 2013 – and will focus more on Tuscany this time around just to alternate our time between Umbria and Tuscany. We’re finalizing details and pricing now, but look for the announcement here or visit my schedule page at the website.

Thanks for visiting, and comments are always appreciated!

Keep sharing your vision,

firstnamesigntransp

Brenda Tharp
Brenda is an award-winning photographer, author, keynote speaker, workshop instructor and tour leader. Her acclaimed books include Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography, and Extraordinary Everyday Photography.
Brenda Tharp on BehanceBrenda Tharp on FacebookBrenda Tharp on FlickrBrenda Tharp on GoogleBrenda Tharp on InstagramBrenda Tharp on LinkedinBrenda Tharp on RssBrenda Tharp on TumblrBrenda Tharp on Twitter
This entry was posted in Brenda Tharp's Photo Blog, Landscape Photography, photography, The Blog, travel photography, workshops & photo tours and tagged , , , , , .

12 Comments

1. Monte Arnold June 14, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Brenda, Tuscany is a most special place, especially for the photographer. I’m going to be in Tuscany in September and expect to find the fall landscapes and colors to be as breathtaking as in the spring. Would you mind telling me precisely where this scene is located…which road and how far out of Pienza it is?

• Brenda June 14, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

Hi Monte – you could walk to this view from Pienza if you stayed there. It’s the road out of Pienza to the south, but you take a side road part way down following signs for a the Pieve di Corsignano – Corsignano Church – (or maybe capella/chapel?). It goes off to the right, a dirt road, slightly downhill to the parking – church is on the left. If you walk or drive down the dirt road that goes left past the church, you will see this classic view – it will surely be different in Fall – many of the fields are brown, plowed, or cut hay and the rolls are tucked away in barns. Probably some sheep grazing in the area, perhaps, or the fields are planted but not growing another crop yet. But the riparian zones and the small wildlife barriers between fields might have started to turn – although typically it’s mid to late October for that…but the scenery is beautiful no matter what! and the food and wine doesn’t change…ha ha. have fun when you go! Hope this helps.

• Monte Arnold June 19, 2012 at 6:28 am #

Thanks Brenda. Your photography inspires me and I enjoy following and seeing what you have been shooting. I hope to join one of your photo tours one of these days. Have you ever photographed in and around Montepulciano, next door to Pienza? The San Biago church/chapel at the edge of town is a great icon.
        –Monte

• Brenda June 20, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Oh Yes, Monte – we’ve spent time in all the hill towns in the area on our photo tours – the San Biagio church is great!

2. Kalani June 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Do you paint Brenda?

• Brenda June 10, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

I don’t paint, Kalani – my hand-eye coordination with a brush is rather untrained, yielding pretty pitiful results. Given time, I could learn, I’m sure. But in my spare time (ha!) I do jewelry-making – beading mostly. Don’t have enough time in the day/week/year to do more! But I am curious why you asked…

• Kalani June 11, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

Because your photos remind me of paintings. This one especially. A lot of great photographers learned composition and color through painting, Ansel for one. I thought you might’ve studied at one point. I’m sure you’re a wonderful painter and your works as amazing as your photography :). But ya painting takes forever, I don’t know how the alla prima guys like Richard Schmid bust out a full oil painting in 2 or 3 hours….

• Brenda June 12, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Indeed – it would take me months to finish a piece to the point where I might actually like it!

3. JB June 8, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Yummy Brenda!

• Brenda June 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Thanks, JB!

4. Donnie Fulks June 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Lovely image Brenda. Appears the farmer is in the process of topdressing the small grain. Reminds me a bit of the Palouse- except the Italian architecture is much more appealing, as you pointed out.

• Brenda June 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Thanks, Donnie – yes, it is similar to the Palouse – which is why I love both areas. But the Palouse has great barns and silos…